Image of the Caprington Colliery pumping engine
Newcomen type engine
Image of a photograph of the Newcomen type pumping engine in use at Caprington Colliery. Supposed erected 1806,[now reported as 1811, following failure of earlier engine from 1781]. Cylinder 30 inches in diameter, 5 feet 3 inches stroke. Engine removed from engine house following replacement by electrical pump in 1901 and moved to the Dick Institute, Kilmarnock until dismantled in 1958. Held in storage until 1998 when it was reinstated in a replica engine house within the Scotland Transformed gallery of the National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh.
Early Engines Digitisation
Reproduced from article by Martin Walton Brown, 'Newcomen Engines', Vol.XXII, of Transactions of the Institution of Mining Engineers, 1901-1902, pp.663-667 [From article printed in The Engineer, Vol.LXXXVI, 1898, pp.57 & 65.]